Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Independence





"They paint their own pictures then they crop me in,
But I will remain where the top begins.
I am not a word, I am not a line...
I am not a girl that could ever be defined.
Cry my eyes out for days upon days,
Such a heavy burden placed upon me! 
But when you go hard your 'nays' become 'yays'!" 
*"FLY" Lyrics by Nicki Minaj and Rihanna*

We all want independence. Sometimes, when struggling with a health issue, we see ourselves as hopelessly dependent on our parents, our nurses/doctors or our treatment centers. We can't see ourselves as strong and independent women. We see ourselves through the lenses of our illness.

Today, I want to write a post on independence, bleeding disorders and hope. I'm sure every single one of you reading this post has a story to tell. A story of battles won and tears shed and burdens carried. What got you to the place you're at now? How do you define yourself? Or, rather, what do you allow to define you? How do you find the strength to face the challenges your bleeding disorder presents? When you look at the girl in the mirror...do you admire her courage?

When I was young, (about 9) I was diagnosed with von Willebrand's Disease type 1. I grew up knowing about my condition, though it took a while to understand it. I needed to hold Mama's hand when the nurse ran tests or drew blood. I closed my eyes and bit my lip and cried when my parents took me to our HTC to be tested for various things. I was dependent on them. I looked to them for strength and assurance when I was scared. When I was hospitalized after having a baby tooth pulled at the Dentist's office (before I was diagnosed), I was terrified of being alone or facing the tests without my parents. The first time I had an IV, I sat in the chair trying to focus on the Dragon Tales episode playing on the TV on the opposite side of the room. I tried so hard not to cry, and all I could think about was how much I wanted to get up and leave.

My dependence was totally normal. My fear, well, it was sometimes irrational. :) But I was a little girl who didn't understand how to talk to Doctors or ask about medicines. My parents did their job by taking care of me and making sure I had every appropriate treatment and medication. They did it because I wasn't old or mature enough to do it myself.

Now, however, it's a different story. I'm 18 years old, and a high school senior getting ready to leave home for college this August. My condition is my responsibility. I'm responsible for talking to and educating my friends, eating right, exercising, wearing my medical ID bracelet 24/7 and talking to my Doctors about how to further take care of myself and my bleeding disorder.

Gaining independence takes time. It took me about 14 years. :) Looking back I see how decisions I made led me to this independence. From my own experience, I'm going to list a few of those crucial decisions:

1. Getting over my fear of needles.
*This might be just me. But when I was younger, the mere mention of a blood test or IV would make me sick. One time, my parents told me we were going to the HTC and that I was going to have to get some blood drawn. I stressed so much and made myself so sick that when we pulled up to the HTC parking lot I threw up in the car. For me, getting over my fear of needles was a huge step in gaining my independence. When I had blood drawn, I started smiling and talking to the nurse and doing absolutely everything to keep my mind off the needle sticking from my vein. I stopped asking to hold my mom's hand and I started asking the nurse about infusions and the tests she was running. I made an active step to better understand what was going on and therefore desensitized myself to needles. The last time I had an IV (late Oct./2011 I think) I sat and watched the nurse mix the factor and made it a point to remember the steps. I watched her stick the needle and took slow, deep breaths. I told myself that I was a strong, brave, independent young lady. I told myself I could handle it. And I did. :)

2. Educating myself about VWD.
*Until you understand your bleeding disorder, you will always be dependent on those around you. Until you can confidently talk to doctors and nurses and friends about your condition, you'll always be needing someone to explain and stick up for you. Learn as much as you can about your bleeding disorder! Understand your limitations and your treatments. You be in control of yourself. Find camps or retreats and meet other people your age with bleeding disorders! The most I ever learned about VWD was at a Women's Retreat in my home state. My mom and I went, and I walked away with SO much information! Plus, I met other girls who knew exactly how I felt. :) I formed a support group at that retreat that I will always have! (And I kept going. :) My next trip up is at the end of April!)

3. Be open and willing to talk. 
*My friends know exactly what my bleeding disorder is, how it affects me and what I can and can't do. They understand when I have to excuse myself from a paintball party or a volleyball game. Telling them about my VWD and educating them on how it works was one of the key parts of my independence. Not only was I raising awareness, but I was overcoming my fear of being "the odd one" and sticking up for myself!

These are just 3 examples, and I'm sure there are many more! You all probably have your own lists of keys to independence!

Now, I'm by NO means encouraging everyone to sever ties with your family or doctors or treatment centers. Those people are they to help you! Without them, we'd all be in a sorry state. :) What I'm promoting is the idea that your bleeding disorder is your responsibility. Don't cast it on someone else. Learn how to stand on your own and educate yourself and be an advocate! Be independent and confident! Look at yourself in the mirror and know that you have the strength to overcome your fears and doubts and be yourself! Don't let your bleeding disorder shape you...let it be a part of you that is unique and beautiful. :)

Much love to all the girls fighting this battle with me! We can do it, ladies! Have faith and celebrate your independence and your beauty! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Irrespective of receiving daily oral or future injectable depot therapies, these require health care visits for medication and monitoring of safety and response. If patients are treated early enough, before a lot of immune system damage has occurred, life expectancy is close to normal, as long as they remain on successful treatment. However, when patients stop therapy, virus rebounds to high levels in most patients, sometimes associated with severe illness because i have gone through this and even an increased risk of death. The aim of “cure”is ongoing but i still do believe my government made millions of ARV drugs instead of finding a cure. for ongoing therapy and monitoring. ARV alone cannot cure HIV as among the cells that are infected are very long-living CD4 memory cells and possibly other cells that act as long-term reservoirs. HIV can hide in these cells without being detected by the body’s immune system. Therefore even when ART completely blocks subsequent rounds of infection of cells, reservoirs that have been infected before therapy initiation persist and from these reservoirs HIV rebounds if therapy is stopped. “Cure” could either mean an eradication cure, which means to completely rid the body of reservoir virus or a functional HIV cure, where HIV may remain in reservoir cells but rebound to high levels is prevented after therapy interruption.Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lupus,Lymne Disease,psoriasis,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma Infectious mononucleosis.  .Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
Dementia.(measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria),Chronic Diarrhea,
Hpv,All Cancer Types,Diabetes,Hepatitis,I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara so i contacted him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com  /  .  even talked on whatsapps +2348149277967 believe me it was easy i drank his herbal medicine for two weeks and i was cured just like that isn't Dr Itua a wonder man? Yes he is! I thank him so much so i will advise if you are suffering from one of those diseases Pls do contact him he's a nice man.  

Emily Wonder said...

My daughter (Annabel) suffered from schizophrenia for 5 years. I had no idea what was happening and didn’t know where to turn for help. It was hard then because I really didn’t understand the symptoms earlier until she was diagnosed. There was a time she decided to get away from everyone, I was not excluded. I had to sit and cry almost every day because I felt helpless as a single mother (she is all I have got). The anguish I went through taking care of her alone is beyond explanation because there was no support whatsoever from the dad or family members. I fought for proper medical care and humane treatment; I did everything within my reach to get her cured but all to no avail. Countless different medications was prescribed (Zyprexa, fluphenazine, Risperdal, quetiapine, etc.) that she was taking but all we could get was myriad of side effects such as rigidity, drowsiness, dizziness, tremors and restlessness which tends to worsen the already damaged situation. Frustration was the order of the day. I wrote a couple of messages to Ontario Mental Health Foundation for help because watching my daughter go through such was devastating. It was at this foundation someone shared a testimony about DR James herba mix medicine, how effective it is and how she went through the most difficult times of her life trying to help her mom fight Schizophrenia. Being that I was already at the verge of giving up because I just couldn't imagine waking up every morning to fight the same demons that left me so tired the night before. I had to contact the doctor,on his email  (drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com)  from our conversations; I was relieved and convinced that the result is going to be positive because I was made to contact people with worse cases. Today, the awful situation of my daughter has gone by. Her happy life is back. She is now a schizophrenia survivor and I am glad because my daily routine activities can now kick off without obstructions. Don't let Schizophrenia hinder you from living a desired life and also, never allow anyone to decide for you especially when they don't know what you have to go through to get to where you are. I was almost discouraged by the doctor but then, I remembered that: I have to shield my daughter’s destiny with courage, faith and perseverance because she is not in her right state of mind and that the bravery and freedom from fear is found in the ‘doing’. Her life is now a testimony. After my daughter got cured,from the herbal mix medicine Dr James prepared and sent to me, she said, Mom “I just thought, ‘Well, I’m a weirdo, I’ll never be normal, then I said, my daughter, life itself is a misery and we get stronger in the places we have been broken. Thanks to you Dr. James  for your excellent counseling, no more psychotic symptoms for the past 3 years and 4 months now. To know more about Dr.James and the effectiveness of his Herbs and roots extracts and he said he got cures for diseases like Bipolar,DIABETES, HPV,SHINGLES,CANCER, ALS, HEPATITIS B, KIDNEY DISEASE, HERPES, Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic cancers, Bladder cancer,Skin cancer, Prostate cancer, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Autism,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,psoriasis ,Tach Diseases,Lupus,Dementia.kidney cancer, lung cancer,. You can reach him on his Email at ... drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com.  I believe you will testify just like me.